A super focused Mark Hoppe becomes one of very few drivers to win overall in front wheel drive and rear wheel drive at the Warwickshire Car Trial at its new venue, Long Compton. Hoppe drove perfectly all day to take a dominant class and overall win from brother in law Shawn Franklin in the new car class. Reigning British champion Rupert North finally returned in his yellow Mini, at round three, to take a class win and third overall, beating local man Philip Buckle with a new engine getting his championship back on track. Henry Kitching slowly dropped back behind Franklin, with Barrie Parker, could only manage third in class in his little Fiat 600. Hoppe was so dominant in his class, dropping just eleven points all day over thirty two challenging hills, where the next lowest score was Kevin Roberts in his similar Dutton on thirty five.
- Mark Hoppe, Dutton Melos, 52%
- Shawn Franklin, Citroen Saxo, 73%
- Rupert North, Rover Mini, 92%
- Henry Kitching, Vauxhall Corsa, 95%
- Barrie Parker, Fiat 600, 105%
- Philip Buckle, Citroen Saxo, 107%
- Simon Harris, VW Golf GTI, 138%
- Bert Greenway, Vauxhall Nova, 142%
- Trevor Moffatt, Vauxhall Corsa, 153%
- Kevin Roberts, Dutton Phaeton, 167%
We’ve trialled at the Long Compton site before, indeed once ran a Grand Final here, and it offers a lot of scope and variety from the natural features. A challenging day awaits us.