North finally back up in North Wales.
Outgoing British champion showed some of his championship winning skills with a stunning day at the HCC Wales Car Trial. Tough sections challenged drivers and cars to the limit. Henry Kitching and Shawn Franklin had a day long battle with Kitching overhauling him over the final eight sections by a single point and second overall but any chance of overall was hindered by two car failures in the class.
Mark Hoppe snatched the rear wheel drive class on the final section for fourth overall after Dave Oliver slipped off a camber, costing ten points and dropping to third in class, four points back. Early sections proved very challenging with conditions quickly drying necessitating the introduction of multiple restarts.
Garry Preston inherited the front wheel drive class with North’s win and eighth overall.
- Rupert North, Rover Mini, 69.7%
- Henry Kitching, Vauxhall Corsa, 83.3%
- Shawn Franklin, Citroen Saxo, 87.2%
- Mark Hoppe, Dutton Melos, 90.3%
- Dick Glossop, Liege, 100.7%
- Dave Oliver, Hillman Imp, 104.2%
- John Charles, Liege, 114.6%
- Garry Preston, Fiat 127, 114.8%
- Kevin Roberts, Dutton Phaeton, 121.5%
- Barrie Parker, Fiat Seicento, 162.9%
No chance of relaxing after the previous day’s trialling and a night of revelry, for this event is likely to be technical and require close reading of the sections to achieve the best results. Or you could just “go for it” and see which works best. Enjoy!