Mark Hoppe started his BTRDA and British championship defence in perfect style with an overall win at his home event, the Golden Springs Car Trial. A year after his first national win Hoppe finished ahead of Barrie Parker who borrowed Hoppe's second Saxo and returned to front wheel drive for the first time in five years.
Hoppe was led by a single point after the first extremely wet and slippery round by brother in law Shawn Franklin, but soon moved into the class lead which he consolidated during the rest of the drying day. Franklin tied on points at the end and lost the tie-break to Chris Judge who was debuting a Saxo.
In class 2 Parker lead Simon Harris all day to win by twelve points despite hitting an eight post which cost him first overall. Roger Trevaskis had a great day to hold third in class and score his best result.
The rear wheel drive class saw Dave Harvey sneak ahead on the third round, but slipped up during the last round to slide behind Dave Robinson. Nick Cleal won the hotly contested clubmans section overall.
1. Mark Hoppe, Citroen Saxo, 75.3%
2. Barrie Parker, Citroen Saxo, 83%
3. Dave Robinson, Scimiter SS1, 97.5%
4. Chris Judge, Citroen Saxo, 106.2%
5. Shawn Franklin, Ford Ka, 106.2%
6. Simon Harris, VW Golf GTi, 109.9%
7. Dave Harvey, Hillman Imp, 110.1%
8. Andy Webb, Alfa Romeo 147, 137.1%
9. Roger Trevaskis, Vauxhall Nova, 141.3%
10. John Wadsworth, Ford Ka, 155.9%
Our 2015 season opens with the popular Golden Springs trial, just north of Dorchester. Time to blow the cobwebs off both car and crew and head off to Dorset, maybe to join in with fellow competitors staying overnight nearby?