Shawn Franklin travelled to the Cymru Car Trial for the first time and won overall, ending Henry Kitching’s two year dominance of the new car class by two points on the day. A stunning climb during the last round, as conditions deteriorated following heavy rain, gave an jubilant Franklin the win, his second in three events. Rupert North took his customary class win in his Mini to finish third overall. Meanwhile, in the rear wheel drive class, Steve Courts beat Barrie Parker by just two points, having trailed with a round to go.
The 55th Gerry P Evans Cymru trial also saw the inter association team trial with teams of three representing four different MSA associations. The ANWCC team of Henry Kitching, Rupert North and John Wadsworth won by just a combined 3% from the South West team of Mark Hoppe, Shawn Franklin and Barrie Parker. This is the first time the ANWCC had won the coveted trophy, coincidentally while hosting.
1. Shawn Franklin, Citroen Saxo, 78.7%
2. Henry Kitching, Vauxhall Corsa, 80.3%
3. Rupert North, Rover Mini, 85.7%
4. Steve Courts, Hillman Imp, 90.8%
5. Barrie Parker, Westfield SEi, 92.1%
6. Trevor Moffatt, Vauxhall Corsa, 100.8%
7. Mark Hoppe, Rover Mini, 108.2%
8. John Wadsworth, Ford KA, 109.8%
9. Chris Judge, Citroen Saxo, 113.9%
10. David Allman, Citroen Saxo, 118.9%
Extract from the SR’s: Welcome to the 55th Cymru Trial, again on the Hendrellwyn Farm site with its spectacular views of the Snowdonia range. We are again running as the first part of a Welsh Weekend, along with Clwyd Vale MC, for championship contenders and club competitors, and this year we are also proud to be the MSA Inter-Association Trial Challenge event (see separate details) so we look forward to some Inter-Association rivalry
as well as the usual battles!