Steve Courts dominated the Ernest Owen Car Trial all day in his Hillman Imp, despite not walking the hills because of sore knees. Following the heavy overnight rain, conditions soon dried rapidly in the sun and cooling breeze. The closest competition of the day was in the new car class that ended up with Mark Hoppé (Saxo) and Henry Kitching (Corsa) tying on points after a titanic battle – Hoppé taking the tie-break by one clean. Third/fourth place was also tie-decided with David Allman and Tim Beard sharing Beard's ‘new' VTR Saxo. Simon Harris snatched the ballasted class win in his Golf from Rupert North's Mini with two outstanding climbs during the sixth round of six hills.
1. Steve Courts, Hillman Imp, 53.9%
2. Simon Harris, VW Golf, 67.8%
3. Rupert North, Rover Mini, 78.4%
4. Mark Hoppe, Citroen Saxo, 80.1%
5. Henry Kitchin, Vauxhall Corsa, 80.1%
6. Brian Roberts, Dutton Phaeton, 84%
7. Dave Oliver, Hillman Imp, 84.2%
8. Roger Holder, Vauxhall Nova, 93.5%
9. Kevin Roberts, Dutton Phaeton, 116.4%
10. Sion Roberts, Citroen Saxo, 117.6%
The popular Midlands trial moves to April this year, presenting new challenges at the Catton Park site to seasoned competitors and a blank canvass to newcomers. All are welcome and early entries will be appreciated.