Gerry P Evans Cymru Car Trial, Saturday 20th July
Roger Holder took his maiden trial win at the Cymru trial on Saturday with some attacking driving. Dry conditions and a couple of tough hills saw Holder lead the class with Duncan Stephens after the first round. Stephens had fuel pump feed failure before the first hill and had to effect a temporary repair. Holder withstood the pressure of numerous trials champions chasing him to take the class by two points and overall on a very tight scoring day. Les Andrew made two very costly errors dropping him to a disappointing fourth in class. Yorkshire's Henry Kitching won the new car class also by two points from local Gareth Williams and Trevor Clarke. Dave Oliver broke his Imp on the fourth hill, resulting in Bill Moffatt winning the class after a very clean drive to take the MSA shield for highest championship contender, in second overall. Brian Roberts took his now customary win in the family Dutton to finish third overall. Stephens second in class was enough to secure him his second MSA Car Trial championship in four years with two rounds remaining having won five rounds overall.
1. Roger Holder, Toyota Starlet, 83.3%
2. Bill Moffatt, Hillman Imp, 87.7%
3. Brian Roberts, Dutton Phaeton, 89.6%
4. Henry Kitching, Vauxhall Corsa, 89.6%
5. Duncan Stephens, Vauxhall Nova, 91.7%
6. Gareth Willams, Peugeot 106D, 99.1%
7. Trevor Clarke, Ford KA, 99.1%
8. Dave Walker, Vauxhall Corsa, 100%
9. Les Andrew, Peugeot 104, 104.2%
10. John Ludford, Marlin, 111.9%
Day 1 of our 2nd Welsh Weekend this year, the Gerry P Evans Memorial Cymru Trial. A site with varied and challenging terrain, with the bonus of glorious weather and views of Snowdonia. Hopefully!