Golden Springs Car Trial
Date: 5th March 2017Barrie Parker drove faultlessly in atrocious conditions which had nearly forced the cancellation of the Golden Springs Car Trial, the opening round of the Championship.
Before the weather eventually took the upper hand, 20 hills were completed and on which Parker led from the off in conditions that suited his car perfectly. He won his class by 97 points from Nigel Weeks, whose Hillman Imp was sporting fresh paint, albeit somewhat mud-spattered at the finish.
Shawn Franklin battled hard with Simon Harris, who debuted a VW Lupo TDI (Simon having only ever trialled his Mk1 Golf GTI before) and eventually won by 15 points to take second overall. Meanwhile, in the front wheel drive class 2, Wayne Grimshaw won the class to secure third overall, just ahead of Harris who was understandably pleased with his debut.
1. Barrie Parker, Westfield, 36.9%
2. Shawn Franklin, Citroen Saxo VTS, 97.4%
3. Wayne Grimshaw, Vauxhall Nova, 100%
4. Simon Harris, VW Lupo TDI, 109.8%
5. John Wadsworth, Ford Ka, 131.1%
6. Chris Judge, Citroen Saxo, 132%
7. Nigel Weeks, Hillman Imp, 186.1%
8. Kevin Roberts, Dutton Phaeton, 203.1%
9. Mark Hoppe, Dutton Melos, 204.6%
10. Ioan Roberts, Dutton Phaeton, 215.4%